Mike's Oud Forums

Garabed Der Bedrossian for sale

journeyman - 2-28-2008 at 05:31 AM

Garabed Der Bedrossian made in 1976. All original except new bone nut in great condition. Appraised at $4000-6000 US by Nazih Ghadban. For sale through sales@12fret.com. Price $4950.00 US. MP3 available from me or from the 12th Fret store.

Der Bedrossian photo 2

journeyman - 2-28-2008 at 05:56 AM

Der Bedrossian photo 3

journeyman - 2-28-2008 at 06:01 AM

Der Bedrossian label

journeyman - 2-28-2008 at 06:03 AM

MatthewW - 2-28-2008 at 08:33 AM

wow....amazing instrument!

paulO - 2-28-2008 at 09:05 AM

I've only seen a few DerBedrosian ouds, but I have to say this one is my all time favorite...beautiful. Good Luck.

Regards..Paul

SamirCanada - 2-28-2008 at 09:01 PM

what a beauty man!

is he still alive?

journeyman - 2-28-2008 at 09:16 PM

Hi Samir,
I assumed that he is no longer with us, but I have never really looked into it. I guess someone on the forum would probably know.

Roy

link to Der Bedrossian MP3

journeyman - 2-29-2008 at 11:59 AM

Here is a link to the MP3:

http://12fret.com/used/Bedrossian%20Oud%20Audio.mp3

oudplayer - 3-2-2008 at 07:00 PM

Hey guys

lovly oud. question maybe its just me but um why is his oud so much money why ios his oud really special? sorry if its a stupid question but just wanna know .

thx sammy

zalzal - 3-4-2008 at 03:17 AM

Well Bedrossian is very reputated, i would say almost as much as Nahat.
They were fm the greatest master of traditional oud luthiery.
The oud looks in very good condition and it sounds nice after 30 years.
A very good new oud, freshly built by a reputated builder today, may cost around same price 4-5-6 thousands and even more.
And in generally we know that woods produce better and better tone and sound while ageing. Probably the wood Bedrossian used in this oud was already stored and old.
40-50 years old wood is quite nice, i believe in luthery.
So here you are paying the reputation of builder, the age of the wood, the condition, the aesthetics etc..
The value of the oud is what owner and seller want to agree.
Me i do not like generally the decorations, though i appreciate the craftmanship here, it is a beauty.
But i can understand one person who "fell in love" with this oud and is ready to pay the price.
Hope it will not just end hanged on a wall.
Anyhow we have seen in other threads how prices oscillated.

JT - 3-4-2008 at 05:42 AM

It does look much like Mohamed Abdel Wahabs Oud, especially the body shape. Any body agree with me? Did Abdel Wahab play a Bedrossian oud? Strong possibilty I reckon, in reference to decoration and shape.

journeyman - 3-4-2008 at 06:28 AM

Hello JT,
As I understand it, this oud was commissioned from Der Bedrossian in Syria and the owner immigrated to the U.S. with his family. He passed away a while ago and the oud was kept in storage by the family until recently. I bought it from them. I love the oud but have some problems with my right elbow and this oud is very big. It sounds great, especially tuned down a tone, like the sound comes from the bottom of a barrel.

Cheers,
Roy

Abusaid - 3-4-2008 at 06:34 AM

I'm agree with you JT. I have found on the web other Berdrossian that looks like Mohammed Abdel Wahab's ouds.

Abusaid - 3-4-2008 at 06:35 AM

Now the back.

Abusaid - 3-4-2008 at 06:36 AM

Another Garabed der Bedrossian

reduced price

journeyman - 3-27-2008 at 05:42 AM

Just wanted to let you know that the price has been dropped $1000 on this
Der Bedrossian oud. It is now selling for $3950 US.

Cheers,
Roy

Barouyr - 5-12-2010 at 05:48 AM

Hello Everyone...

When this link was forwarded to me i was astonished... i've read all the comments everyone had to write and i really appreciate you guys having such respect and appreciation to Garabed Derbedrossian.

The reason i have made an account on this site and am now writing to you all is because of my extreme love and missing of Garabed Derbedrossian, because proudly speaking, he is my own grandfather, the father of my mother. And as i read how a few of you asked whether he is still with us or not, I am deeply sorry to say that he had passed away at the beginning of 2009 with the age of 81 years, may he rest in peace.

I'm proud to be his grandson, and I really do miss him, he was a great man and he had led a great life of passion.

Barouyr (Derbedrossian) Sarkissian.

Jonathan - 5-12-2010 at 07:43 AM

It is absolutely great to hear your input.

Your grandfather was certainly a master oud maker.

I would greatly love to document more on your grandfather for my website, http://www.varjouds.com. The biographical information that I have there is scant.

If you check out the site, you will see that I have pictures of several of his ouds. I would absolutely love to know more about the man, and would be grateful for any input.

Please feel free to email me if you get a chance--I would email you but you don't have an email address posted.

And, while you are reading this, perhaps you could answer one question that has been bothering me for a while--just who was Smpat? Was he Garabed's father? Do you happen to know more about him?

I have ouds made by both of them (including the oud that was offered for sale on this thread), and they are incredible.

Again, I would really be grateful for any input. I am trying to document oud makers of Armenian decent, and your knowledge would greatly help.

Thanks

Jonathan Varjabedian

http://www.varjouds.com

varjouds AT aol.com

Barouyr - 5-15-2010 at 11:45 PM

Hey sorry to reply a bit late,

Yes i'll gladly give you all the input needed,

I'll write you an email to your @aol.com email, and tell you all about it.

expect my email soon.

and thank you for publishing my grandfather's works and story on your sites, i appreciate it.

Talk to you soon,

Barouyr

Faladel - 5-16-2010 at 01:51 AM

Dear Barouyr

Please send me your E-mail , I need biographical information of your grandfather.
Thank you very much