Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sharing Song Sheet: Baseru Na HaGe'ulah
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 03:16 PM
Sharing Song Sheet: Baseru Na HaGe'ulah

Greetings Fellow Oud-Maniacs,

I have finally finished a music sheet for a song I want to share, "Baseru Na HaGe'ulah." I don't know anything about the composers (Raphael & Ezra Safadie), but guess from their name that they are of Syrian-Jewish heritage.

The source recording, "Kinnor David" ("Harp of David") by Moshe Giat is the only source--recorded or written--that I know of for this song (other than my band's version - http://cdbaby.com/cd/zaatarband2 ).

I chose the song because it is rare and is a modern, original piece (not a "borrowed" folk melody) in a traditional style and instrumentation. "Kinnor David" is Moshe Giat's only recording with a traditional "takht"-type ensemble. (He usually records with synthesizer, guitar, drum set, etc.) Also, I love the instrumental "interlude" between the choruses and verses.

The music sheet includes the melody, iqa'at (rhythm patterns), maqam info, song form, where to buy the recording, Hebrew lyrics, and a transliteration.

An important piece of info for those new to Middle Eastern music notation: The musical passages with brackets above the staff are those played by the orchestra in "response" to the singer or musical soloist.

This song is religious in subject. A rough translation of the chorus: "Bring news, we beseach, of the Redemption, via the angel Gabriel." Maybe one of the native Hebrew speakers could provide some more exact translating (and correct any errors in my transliteration, if needed!).

Up until the late 1990s, religious music was a bastion of traditional Arabic-style music among Israeli Jews of Middle Eastern and North African ancestry. Unfortunately, more and more of this music is being recorded with synthesizers, rather than oud, qanoun, ney, etc.

Shalom/Salaam/Shlama/Khoda Hafez and Enjoy,
John
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 03:19 PM

I have an MP3 of Moshe Giat's "Baseru Na HaGe'ulah," but it's 6+ megabytes. Anyone know an easy way to compress it so I can upload? Sending to a zipped folder didn't work either...

Thanks,
John
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 03:37 PM

If you like send it to me I'll zip it but you will lose quality

katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 03:43 PM

or if you like download wavepad program. You will be able to zip mp3 files

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 03:51 PM

Thanks Souheil! I will email you the file, then check out wavepad later for future use.

Peace,
John
katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Erlich
Thanks Souheil! I will email you the file, then check out wavepad later for future use.

Peace,
John

From John

Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 08:54 PM

Great song I didn't know it and great recording of it toda John. I started getting more into piyutim, the thing is I often feel a little uncomfortable with the lyrics, especially when they are not only religious but can sometimes today also be (mis)read and twisted into a political context, which I rarely agree with.

Anyway here's the rest of the lyrics:

I. Raise loud the songs and praise god
Raise us from between the nations
His name is always glorious

II. God my father have mercy on us save us from our enemies
Our temple will be built
We will pray in it day and night

III. You are a loyal king
Your name is holy and you are merciful
(the last line is not so clear what he wants to say) Show the hidden fate patience on us night and day (??)

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 09:21 AM

Shalom Masel,

Thanks for the translation!

I totally understand what you mean about piyyutim and the lyrics and not being totally comfortable or in agreement what either the religious meaning or political implications of the lyrics. (Similarly, I read a translation of another piece, a Turkish Sufi Bektashi illahi, that I have performed many, many times. The secular Turk who translated it also felt that there was religious intolerance being expressed in the lyrics.) I played and sang this song recently at a concert at my non-Orthodox synagogue and talked a bit about it before I sang. I suggested that, for us non-Orthodox Jews, singing about Messianic Redemption (viat haMashiach) can be a way to remind us to work--ourselves--for peace and a better world.

Could the last line verse 3 mean, "Reveal the hidden future [i.e., the End of Days - Ketz Yamim]; Your Light [i.e., the Shechinah] is upon us day and night"?

I think that there is a need in Israel, as in nearly every other country in the world, including here in the USA, for non-fundamentalists to claim their rights to their religious heritage and to assert that God/HaShem/Allah does not "belong" only to the Religious Right (as we say in the USA) or fundamentalists only.

I assume you are already very familiar with piyut web page: http://www.piyut.org.il/ -- Plenty of good music oud, qanoun, nay, violin, darbukka, riq/daff, etc.!

Peace/Shalom/Salaam/Shlama/Khoda Hafez,
John
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 09:55 AM

ahalen HAKULAM

WAlla i love moshe Giat. HE is one of my favorite yemenite singers. He has so many amazing songs.

I come from a very tzioni and Dati yemenite/adani family. and my theory is God (Hashem) come first. ITs simple ! people need to understand with out Hashem we have nothing. (my point of view) We are on this world to warship him and expalin to peopel he is #1,

This song as i understand it is basicly explaining That we all have problems and cleary God made them for us. And we should all work together and pray to make it better.

piyutim is very nice . As a hazan (in my beith knenseth) i love singing. I have some really nice tunes i use for kebalath shaboth, and some of my own.

thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 12:36 PM
Cleaned Up Version of Music Sheet

I was looking at the song sheet yesterday and noted that it didn't meet my current aesthetic standards. (No real errors, to the best of my knowledge.)

I have attached a cleaned up version which is easier to read.

All the best,
John

Attachment: Baseru Na Music Sheet.pdf (249kB)
This file has been downloaded 228 times

Go To Top