Mike's Oud Forums

new peg job not smooth - pegs skip and jump

maqamworld - 4-23-2005 at 07:31 AM

Dear oud experts,

I just redid the pegs on my Sukkar oud. I bought a matched German reamer and sharpener set, and used ebony viola pegs.

The new pegs fit very well as far as I can see, but when I turn them they dont turn smothly, they skip and jump.:shrug:

Am I skipping a step in the process ? should I smooth the pegs more with fine sandpaper / steel wool ? should I smooth the ionside of the holes ?

thanks for your expertise.

Johnny
http://www.maqamworld.com

Jameel - 4-23-2005 at 08:40 AM

Johnny,

I've done this job a few times, so I have some experience. I'm no expert however.

I've found that if you just ream the holes and shape the pegs with the peg shaper, the surface of the peg shaft will be too rough even though it is matched perfectly with the hole. Remember the peg shaver is cutting directly across the grain, that does not yield a very smooth surface. I take some 220 then 320 then 400 sandpaper and spin the peg in one hand while wrapping the sandpaper around it with the other hand. Concentrate on removing equal amounts from the entire peg. You don't want to negate the nice shaving you did with the peg shaper. I also make sure that when I ream, I shape the peg first in the shaper, ream the hole until the end of the peg stops half way into the far wall. By the time you polish the peg it will be just right--about flush with the outside of the wall. Of course if you want your peg to go farther than that, just ream a tad more. Make sure the shiny spots on the peg go all the way around the shaft. I finish off by applying some peg dope (stuff that looks like a crayon) to the shaft. I rub it in hard with a rag, so it heats up and goes into the wood. Then I put the peg in and work it around a few times to get the peg seated and spinning smoothly. A violin maker I know even goes all the way to rottenstone when polishing his peg shafts. They need to be smooth. Do not touch the peg holes, just ream them. If you touch them with sandpaper or anything you will spoil their shape.

Here's a good link: http://www.bearmeadow.com/build/methods/setup/html/installing-peg.h...