Mike's Oud Forums

Transposing Turkish into Arabic score

Philippe - 8-30-2006 at 05:21 PM

Hi everybody,
I'm actually trying to transpose the song Kapris from a turkish score into an arabic tuning so I'll be able to learn it on the CFADGC tuning.
It's quite long. Any clue, hint or method to help me go faster?
Thanks!

Jason - 8-30-2006 at 06:56 PM

I just transpose it in my head down a 4th from written pitch but you can think of it as transposing down a fifth so you'll start on a G. Really once you get the starting note of a passage you can just read the intervals between the notes. You may find it easier to use CGADGC or DGADGC so you can use the traditional chord shapes and scale patterns.

You could also enter the notes in a program like Finale or Sibelius and have that transpose it for you.

Marina - 8-30-2006 at 10:27 PM

Hi there. :D

To keep same finger position - put it down 5 tones. If you play on Arabic oud It will sound one tone lower than on Turkish oud, but your fingers will play at the same places. That's the usual way of transposition from Turkish. I usualy write the score down, it takes 10 minutes, so why should I transpose it in my head? :)) - You can download the program "Music Editor" (free) from the net, it makes transposition beside the programs that Jason told you.

Philippe - 8-31-2006 at 08:56 AM

thanks guys!