Mike's Oud Forums

oud in yemen

oudplayer - 10-3-2006 at 12:36 PM

hey all
can someone tell me what is a commen oud that the yemenis play in yemen . and where could i get a oud from yemen .
or if anyone has info about ouds from yemen post hear .
thx sammy

Mascun - 10-4-2006 at 06:32 AM

I'm also interested in hearing the yemeni style of oud-playing, which, I was told, is very specific to that part of the world. I've been dashing all over the web to find recordings (I'm quite willing to pay for my CDs :)) but so far have found nothing. Help appreciated !

Alan

oudplayer - 10-4-2006 at 09:02 AM

hey alan
i also want to find yemeni oud players cd but i cant find anything idk why
if you find let me know or even oud players names,.
thx sammy

Mascun - 10-4-2006 at 09:15 AM

Will do :)

Alan

Microber - 10-4-2006 at 09:36 AM

Here one I know
Hamud Al Junyad

And this one I don't know, Songs from Hadramawt

Robert

Mascun - 10-4-2006 at 09:58 AM

Thanks Robert

Alan

John Erlich - 10-4-2006 at 11:15 AM

Hi Fellow Oud Maniacs,

I know of only 2, maybe 3, Yemeni oud recordings on CD (two of which mentioned above by Robert). There appear to be some more CDs of Yemeni music out there--I did a Google Image Seach and saw more. I think I've seen most of these before in stores, but never bought them.

Here is a free web site where you can hear Yemeni music: http://azaalcity.com/yemenmusic.htm My personal favorite Yemeni oud player and singer is Fuad Al-Kibsi: http://azaalcity.com/alkibsi.htm

Most Yemeni music is still available only on cassette. I own a TON of cassettes of traditional Yemeni music.

I hereby repeat my previous offer on this forum to do a music trade. There are lots of Yemeni immigrants in the San Francisco Bay Area and access to cassettes of Yemeni music is pretty good. What I can't easily find around here is good recordings of traditional oud-based North African (Morocco/Algeria/Tunisia) music.

Anyone want to do a trade?

Peace,
Udi John

oudplayer - 10-4-2006 at 11:54 AM

hey john
thx for the info i like so far what i got thx again
btw what is the tuning for the oud in yemen or even the builders
thx sammy

John Erlich - 10-4-2006 at 12:19 PM

Hi Sammy,

Shanah Tovah!

I don't know if Yemeni oud players use a tuning different from other Arab oud players. I have a cassette by Fuad Al-Kibsi that has a picture of him playing a Shehata oud (the exact model I own, in fact!). I have to assume that there are oud builders in the Arabian Peninsula, but I know that oud builders from other parts of the Arab World (like Shehata in Egypt) sell their instruments to Gulf Arabs all the time.

All the best,
Udi John

oudplayer - 10-4-2006 at 12:31 PM

hey man shanah tovah
thx that woud i though here are some pics of my uncle mayer who was a pro on the oud in yemen .
can some one tell what kind he is playing or figure soemthing out by it
thx sammy
these where takin in aden yemen

Monawar Al-Jabar - 10-4-2006 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Microber
Here one I know
Hamud Al Junyad

And this one I don't know, Songs from Hadramawt

Robert

Hi all

I come from Yemen and i play yemen song's. I will post some traditional one for you and by the way i know Hamum Al Junaid his my good friend along side other yemen singer's.

His son's waleed and Baker are really good oud play.

oudplayer - 10-4-2006 at 01:01 PM

hey monawar
thx i would really enjoy that .
btw do u knwo what kind of oud that it is in the pic
thx sammy
p.s do u know nay oud makers in yemen

Monawar Al-Jabar - 10-4-2006 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oudplayer
hey monawar
thx i would really enjoy that .
btw do u knwo what kind of oud that it is in the pic
thx sammy
p.s do u know nay oud makers in yemen

Hi sammy

I think it's an Egyptien oud as most yemen singers like them oud but if you can email my with a different pict and full name i will ask some other friend in yemen.

I also know someone in yemen who make good oud's