Mike's Oud Forums

Restring interval

Marcus - 5-16-2009 at 05:06 AM

Hi Oudists :wavey:

how long do you guys use your strings,or better, what is the average time to change them?
I used to play pyramid arabic strings which sounds very good for about 4-6 weeks. Than I feel like change them even if I really hate this string-changing-business.
Now i bought some daniel Mari strings to hear what they sound like and see if they last longer.
What are your experiences,which brand is really long-lasting?

Thanks in advance

Marcus

jazzchiss - 5-18-2009 at 12:33 AM

If you like the sound of new strings, change them every month, but I like the less brilliant sound of old strings, so I keep them for a year.

Alioud - 5-18-2009 at 08:03 AM

There is nothing I hate more than changing strings... I was thinking of hiring someone as a part time job just to change my strings and tune them.. considering I have more than 14 ouds that are being played all the time by my friends and I.

I use Pyramid lute strings.. and I change every 5 to 6 months. Strings lose their luster and brilliance and they sound dead if you stretch further than 6 months.. and I think this is a general rule for all strings. Cheap strings die much much faster.. and the more you play the faster you need to change.. One of my friends who play 10+ hours a day change his Pyramid Lute strings every 2 to 3 months..

So.. Basically.. no strings really SURVIVE after 6 months.. even if you don't play them, they will simply rust.

Marcus - 5-18-2009 at 09:57 PM

Hi Alioud :wavey:

even if I hate changing strings it`ll be a cool part time job-changing-tuning-playing and get money for it:D Souds much better than the job I do now:)

What is the difference between Lute and Oud strings?

And, now I know why your mood is Extremely Happy! 14 Ouds to play with..
I wouldnt neither have the space to storrage them nor the time to play them!

I would love to see pics of such a huge collection of ouds.Can you post some?

Cheers

Marcus