Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First oud recommendations - budget around 1K
James Paul Mitchell
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-10-2024 at 11:03 PM
First oud recommendations - budget around 1K

Hello everyone!
I'm hoping to purchase my first oud soon. A little bit of my background - play guitar, lap/pedal steel, mandolin, and a little banjo. I'm hoping to get an oud that would last me forever and not something that I need to upgrade in a year or two if I get really into it. So my budget is around $1,000 - is it possible to get that sort of quality oud around that price?
I believe that I want a Turkish oud - my understanding is that the higher pitch/more sustain might be more what I'm looking for in the sound, but I am open to ideas.

I found a website with this offer for a Sultan Plus oud. With hardshell case it's about $1300. That would fit in my budget, and I travel a lot so thinking down the road, it would be good to have a hard case for it.

https://oudforguitarists.thrivecart.com/sultan-plus-oud/

Any thoughts?
Should I go this route or look elsewhere?

Thanks!
maraoud108
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-11-2024 at 10:05 AM

I think that that would be a good starter oud.

I have that same case and really like it. I lot of the hardshell cases sold for ouds are massive, really like a large suitcase and difficult to justify as a carryon for traveling.

This case is nice in that it's about the size of a carryon suitcase, so unless you're flying on small regional planes a lot, you shouldn't have any trouble getting it on board. I also have never had a problem flying with a strong softshell oud case.

Where are you located? It might be good to find some ouds locally before you pull the trigger on this one.

Also, I would advise getting a teacher. I thought it would be easy to transfer musical skills on guitar to the oud. In some ways it is helpful playing these other instruments, as your muscle memory is strong and there's some coordination between the right and left hands.

But in other ways it's very difficult. I've been at it for about three years now, and only now am I feeling like I'm playing the instrument adequately. It's really more comparible to a cello or viola than a guitar.

Go To Top