Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Incredible Luthiery--worth a look
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 08:32 PM
Incredible Luthiery--worth a look

For anyone who appreciates incredible work in wood, and instruments in particular, take a look at this pair of lute makers.

http://lutesandguitars.co.uk/

This man and woman team do simply breathtaking work, using incredible woods and very refined techniques and designs. It's a joy just to browse their website. They have developed a clever way of measuring very old lute backs, in one case, the back of a lute made entirely of ivory! I hope you all enjoy this as much as I. Here's a small sample of their work:

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 1-21-2006 at 09:25 PM

IMpressive. I have been to that site before and I was impressed. I find it very interesting the ways people manage to add tuning pegs to the box beyond the normal 11 or 12. Of course most of these extra strings are to play a single note.

And wow, the six tiers deep parchment rosette on the Baroque guitar.

I noticed how segmented in appearance the bowls on the lutes, this maybe for a reason since leaving them this way where the joints aren't filed down to round them doesn't weaken these joints.
Django
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 04:56 AM

I've recently been in contact with them about creating an oud/lute for me that is represented in the 12th century iconography of the Cantigas de Santa Maria. I've given them all the research I've been able to find, and I'm now waiting for their ideas. Very exciting!

Go To Top