Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Tuning pegs, HELP!
hott10
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-8-2006 at 05:47 PM
Oud Tuning pegs, HELP!

i have a twelve string oud, tuned d g a d g c

the top first d and the top second g go out of tune literally withing seconds of tuning. I took out the friction bassed tuning pegs and i put rosin on them because thats what i was advised to do. but it wore out in a few minutes....

how can i get my oud to stay in tune???
HELP!
jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 5-8-2006 at 11:59 PM

I suppose that you have a very cheap oud. I used wax in my first oud to avoid the slide of the pegs, but ultimately, if you do not want to lose a lot of time, you will have to buy a better one. It is not indispensable that the pegs are of ebony, the important thing is that they are made well. My Turkish oud is relatively cheap and the pegs go softer than those of my Ghadban.

This is the pegbox of my Turkish oud:

tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-9-2006 at 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hott10
i have a twelve string oud, tuned d g a d g c

the top first d and the top second g go out of tune literally withing seconds of tuning. I took out the friction bassed tuning pegs and i put rosin on them because thats what i was advised to do. but it wore out in a few minutes....

how can i get my oud to stay in tune???
HELP!

Hello hott10

First of all, please show us the picture of your oud.
Which is the state of peg (slip or stick)?

Regards,
tsugumi
peppeo77
Oud Junkie

Mood: easy like ever

[*] posted on 5-9-2006 at 03:41 AM

Maybe you are using a too tensive set of strings. Is it a turkish or an arabic oud? Which set of strings did you put on it? Please, post some pics of the oud and of the tuning pegs, and specify the string set.
Ciao ciao, Giuseppe.
hott10
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-9-2006 at 04:17 AM

i bought new strings off the internet to see if that was the problem. the strings that came on it are the ones i was using so that could have been it.

i hope it is not the quality because only two of the pegs are loose...

ill put pics on when i have time but i have to go to school right now.

if anyone knows any secrets of how to make my oud sounds really good that would be great cause i have to play infront of a hundred or so people next week and ive only been playing oud a couple weeks...
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 5-9-2006 at 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hott10

... i have to play infront of a hundred or so people next week and ive only been playing oud a couple weeks...

what your oud might lack in quality is more than compensated with your personal courage and determination. bravo!

it's difficult to diagnose the problem without photos but if yours is a poorly made oud - no slight intended - the slipping pegs may be due to improperly drilled peg holes. try exchanging the faulty pegs with those of similar size to see if a more effective distribution can be found or - if the entry hole for the peg is too large and purely as a "quick fix" - you might try wrapping silk thread around the peg to increase its diameter and grip or decrease the diameter of the entry hole with ... something ... a plastic resin washer perhaps or maybe a section of nylon tubing.

i'd be very curious to hear how you get on.

respectfully - bill
hott10
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-9-2006 at 02:20 PM

yeh yet agian i cant put pics on now... ive got a really busy life... and its getting close to my performance... i need to learn a song hahahaa

:)

oh well, last year i learned to play the lotar and that was cool... i can do this. yes i can.

ill play something relativly easy and it should sound good to the audience cause no one has seen an oud before.. if i mess up ill call it "moroccan flare"

Go To Top