Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cumbus questions
Seeker
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-2-2005 at 10:34 AM
Cumbus questions

Hi, I am new to your forum and new to instruments in general. I want to learn an instrument and I really like the sound of the cumbus. But there are different kinds of cumbus and I don't know the sound differences between them. Does anyone have sound files for a :tambor cumus, cura cumbus, banjo cumbus, and standard cumbus? Also, is it possible to tune a cubus to play western style music, i.e. Irish traditional?
Monty88
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 03:30 AM
cumbus

Hi,
The names you said sound like those from the mid east dealer. I reccomend you do avoid puchasing any instruments with the names standard, banjo, tambor or cura cumbus. Not the instruments, but anything over the net with that name.

The "standard" or cumbus is the instrument most related to the oud. Fretless, tuned in fourths: it works well as an introduction to the oud and related intruments. This model does suit other musics like irish, which I have used mine for. Beware though, don't expect this instrument to serve you as an oud-substitute. You WILL want an oud after owning a cumbus.

The cumbus mandolin is also nifty. It is simply the body of a cumbus with an eight string mandolin neck, so this will fit anything western should you need it to.

The cumbus saz, cumbus tanbur, and cumbus cura saz are all getting to the turkish side of things, so these won't cut western music as well as the first two.

Hope this helps.

monty
Seeker
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 05:03 PM

Thanks very much! I have been looking all over the internet for days to find that information. :)
kitharidis
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monty88
Hi,
The names you said sound like those from the mid east dealer. I reccomend you do avoid puchasing any instruments with the names standard, banjo, tambor or cura cumbus. Not the instruments, but anything over the net with that name.

The "standard" or cumbus is the instrument most related to the oud. Fretless, tuned in fourths: it works well as an introduction to the oud and related intruments. This model does suit other musics like irish, which I have used mine for. Beware though, don't expect this instrument to serve you as an oud-substitute. You WILL want an oud after owning a cumbus.

The cumbus mandolin is also nifty. It is simply the body of a cumbus with an eight string mandolin neck, so this will fit anything western should you need it to.

The cumbus saz, cumbus tanbur, and cumbus cura saz are all getting to the turkish side of things, so these won't cut western music as well as the first two.

Hope this helps.

monty
kitharidis
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monty88
You WILL want an oud after owning a cumbus.

Monty, you're right, I bought my cumbus 'cos the good ouds are too expensive for my current budget. The cumbus is a nice instrumet, but my body asks for a good oud...I admit!. Particularly those electric sukkar ones...

Greetings,

K.

Go To Top