Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nazih is Ok
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 03:20 PM
Nazih is Ok

Yes, Nazih is indeed OK. I know because I saw him very recently while visiting Lebanon. He's also a wonderful luthier, a very good musician and a fantastic host, as I can testify. I think in the light of what a fun trip we had and recent events on the world stage, this merits a few paragraphs, so bear with me.

I posted a topic on this forum a few months back asking for advice on buying my first oud. Thanks so much to all who helped me. In the end I decided I didn't want to risk the blind buying nightmare and, as a friend and I were badly in need of an interesting (oh yeah!) summer break and a couple of people had recommended Nazih as an excellent oud-maker, we decided to go to Lebanon and asked Nazih if he would mind if we paid him a visit.

So a few days in Beirut (including the most insane World Cup final ever to be experienced outside a host country), a long drive, delayed by the need to indulge in the fantastic food and wine of the Bekaa valley and we arrived much later than planned (which had inconvenienced our host - sorry Nazih) at Nazih's workshop in Ras Baalbek.

I'd had my eye on an iraqi style oud after our email conversation and when I heard and held it I immediately fell in love. I'm an oud novice but I don't think I went too far wrong on this one. Well it was that or the 1913 Nahat, and Nazih wasn't parting with the latter. So, as we'd arrived very late he gave me the night to think it over (like I needed it) and treated us to a wonderful evening of food (yes again - this was another objective of our trip after all) and his musicianship, as well as that of friends Toni and Michel - at the local restaurant. We supplied the whiskey and the bottle was nearly empty at the end of the evening.

No change of heart overnight, though the whiskey had affected my friend and I much more than it had Nazih, so the next day I departed with my new baby taking up the entire boot of our rented Hyundai Getz and the rest of our baggage stuffed in any way it would go. We had a fantiastic time in Lebanon and Nazih was the highlight, but as you'll be aware there's a sad ending to the story. The following morning we saw the first missiles hit the hills above the town of Baalbek. We headed for the hills, which we had planned anyway but which was a safe area where we ended up having to stay for a week after the airport was bombed and our flights out cancelled. We still managed to have a wonderful time there until we heard about the Navy ships leaving for Cyprus and drove back down to Beirut to catch them.

It's terrible to leave a place because you have the priviliged status of a foreign national, while all the people who made it so special are stuck in their houses, scared and unable to travel while knowing your own government bears a large part of the blame. Moderators, please excuse the politics and I noticed certain references to the current situation had been deleted from other threads, but what we're all about on this forum is culture isn't it? Well Lebanon is one of the most cultured places I've ever been, and they're bombing it and I think if that's politics, then we should care about politics. Not to mention the lives.

Anyway, what's important is that Nazih and all our other friends in Lebanon are fine (I talked to him just before I left and have been emailing since) and Nazih makes the best ouds in Lebanon. Nazih, thanks to you, your wife and family for a wonderful time and for my wonderful oud, and we'll see you again soon Insha' Allah. And when the war is over (please let it be soon) I would recommend to anyone to look for their oud in Ras Baalbek in the hands on manner.

Oh yes, the oud. I managed to brazen out the one bag rule on the boat (I think they realised that if it stayed I would also be staying) and it's back here with me in the UK safe and sound. See it on Nazih's site - No 981. It's got a really clear tone but the walnut back softens it so it doesn't jar like some iraqui ouds (it's also tuned in C and I might experiment with slightly higher tunings). Unfortunately I've lost the sound sample Nazih sent me of his playing, so please excuse me attaching my own beginner's messing. Even with me at the wheel I think you can tell the quality.

Now all I need is a good teacher in the UK. Any ideas anyone?
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-27-2006 at 03:22 PM

Ok, I messed up the sound sample, but if anyone can tell me how to attach it I'm happy to embarass myself.
ALOMARI
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 03:20 AM

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST OUD , I JUST ORDERED MY FIRST OUD( FROM HALUK ) ONE HOUR AGO.
SORRY I CAN'T HELP WITH THE MUSIC ATTACHMENTS , I'M VERY NEW TO THE FORUM .
GOOD LUCK AND LETS HEAR YOU PLAY SOON

ALOMARI
jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 12:12 AM

You can attach sound files the same way you can attach images: not in the ‘Quick Replay’ but clicking the ‘Post Replay’ which is under the last post.

I’m glad Nazih is o.k. and you love your oud. I own as well an iraqi style Ghabdan’s oud and I tune it C# F# B E a d. I’m quite happy with it although it has a wooden nut.

Faladel
Oud Junkie

Mood: ya salam

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 02:47 AM

Yes I agree that Mr. Nazih is a very big friend and very big Luthier
:applause:

Oud Player

Go To Top