Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Cases
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 04:16 AM
Oud Cases

Hi guys,

Has any one had any experience with these oud cases from CEM music centre?

CEM oud case ebay

My oud came with one of those ridiculous nylon cases which is about as effective in protection (when taking the train, bus, walking through a busy place) as carrying it in a bin bag......I might as well just tie a string round the neck and flail it round my head.

Anyway i'm sick of acting like the oud-bodyguard when i take it outside.

I haven't ruled out hard cases, but my demands arent that high to require a heavier case.

The case above appears to be padded and offer protection against small incidents expected in travel.

Questions
1) Any experience with this case - whats its quality like, any issues.

2) Whats your opinion on the size? the company seems to be geared towards turkish instruments, do you think it will fit an arabic size oud?

2) Has anyone found similar cases around the same price?
*note-im in the UK so location may limit what is realistic,

Cheers
Mehran

Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 07:01 AM

Hi Mehran!

I don't have this one, but one that is very similar (looks the same except that the extra pockit is not on top, but down where the label is).

I am very pleased with it. But I only use it to carry my "practice" ouds.

For my concert ouds, I use the one by Jameel Khalaf on this Forum http://www.khalafoud.com/

I preferr this one (even though it is double the price)!
Because when it come to protection, Jameel's is more superior both at the pegbox and at the face of the oud!

One more thing about Jameel case that is worth to mention (Jameel, I think you ought to write this on your web :) )
is that the handle is so well placed and ballanced that you barely feel you are carrying it!!

p.s. I know that it can be carried on the back, but sometimes I have a back pack when I have a concert far away so that I need to sleep over.

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-19-2010 at 11:32 AM

Anybody else used these cases?
Know of any other soft cases apart from the khalaf soft case - its an ideal case, but quite expensive as well - id rather spend the extra cash on oud parts.
Kelly
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-19-2010 at 12:16 PM

Hi Mehran
Greetings to you in Manchester also.

Yeah the CEM case looks reasonably substantial and value for money (quick conversion incl p&p £70 as Jameels will set you back around £125 incl p&p.) Looks like size will probably fit 60 cm scale length small body arabic oud say 35-36 cm width. I have a couple of Sukar cases which though hard cases are light and reasonably easy to carry ( though see previous thread on straps!). Saz online also do oud cases.

Might be worth asking seller re capacity dimensions or give them your oud measurements. Only thing I dont like re CEM case is pocket on peg box-I have visions of it snagging/getting caught by closing door etc. Having said that construction looks ok with substantial zips. Might try one myself!

Kelly
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-19-2010 at 12:47 PM

Greetings!

Ive sent a message to CEM asking about the size. My oud isnt the largest of arabic styles, perhaps it could fit.

I looked at Saz online, they also had a soft case but i feel from looking the CEM bag seems more robust. However, its hard to tell just from looking.

Either way they are both far better than the nylon nonsense I carry my oud around in the moment.

Go To Top