Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How do you know it is time to get a new oud ?
Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 11:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sazi  
And it never will, unless you record your oud in the same professional level studio with the same kind of expensive microphones and outboard gear that those studios use, and then get it mastered like the recordings you refer to.

If Al is talking about professional CD recordings you're absolutely right, but if he talked about e.g. Youtube videos, it might just be a matter of the strings and/or the tuning he uses.

Remember the discussion with Ezz ... he also complained, that his oud doesn't sound as he expected and we found out, that his oud lacks bass, because he uses cheap strings and a higher tuning than most other players and this with strings, that weren't designed for this high tuning as it seemed.

But Al should definitly compare his oud to better ones as you recommended, because than he will see, if the string's action is also a problem. A better action than on most "cheap" ouds will in most cases speed up the learning process.

Regarding the question about trebble strings ... Nylon versus PVF ... THIS discussion might be interesting for Al.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
rojaros
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Al Yahudi  
how do you know when its time to progress to a better oud ? i find that i am trying to do stuff with my amatuer oud that and it doesnt sound like what i hear on recodings, tremolos on lower strings for example produce a very loose sound and the treble strings sound a little plastiki.
so if you advance to a better cleaner sound instrument , do you get better results and is it easier to progress with a better balanced instrument ?
I have an abou dagher that was bought it cairo and was told that it is a very decent instrument for a beginner.
I live in the holyland and can get better instruments around here but i dont know if i should exhast what i have first meaning play better with my current instrument and then get a new one or get a new one and move on from there ?

thanks for he advice

Coming back to the original subject: If you are really meaning to go forward with playing the OUD it's never too early to get an even more decent instrument, because it might boost you progress.

On the other hand there is nothing wrong with playing a mediocre instrument, because the playability problems force you to become even stronger - if you succeed to play niclely on a mediocre OUD, your playing on a nice OUD will be even more marvelous.

So do whatever your bank account allows for and don't put yourself under pressure in any direction.

One can do beautifull music on any instrument!

best wishes
Robert
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2010 at 04:58 AM

Quote:

On the other hand there is nothing wrong with playing a mediocre instrument, because the playability problems force you to become even stronger - if you succeed to play niclely on a mediocre OUD, your playing on a nice OUD will be even more marvelous.

Certainly.

One of the reasons for learning the basics of any instrument on a student model - you will begin appreciate higher-end instruments for more than its visual qualities.
You will also know what to look for from flaws that you have found with your own instrument
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top