Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sanding the fretboard
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 05:07 AM
sanding the fretboard

hello, the end of the fretboard of my oud (next to the sound hole) is a little higher than the rest, which cuts off some notes (especially high on the neck) with an annoying "tak" sound. I can see exactly where the problem is, i just want to ask how to proceed.
i covered the oud with newspaper and paper-tape to make sure the ebony dust wont stain the face. what else? which grain sanding paper should I use?
thank you
yaniv

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 9-9-2010 at 01:44 AM

OK, nobody else will tackle this one? Are you sure the problem is the ebony fretboard, and not the soundboard rising? Unless the fingerboard is clearly protruding, this would be professionally handled by a luthier attempting to drop the fingerboard-soundboard complex, e.g. heating the face and bracing and applying pressure or blows until it submits, and STAYS there, or until you hear one of several possible very loud noises. Or you could move and wait for a change in climate to do it for you (that worked for me).

Given your adventurous leanings, you probably don't want to do it so professionally, or wait, and don't care if your fingerboard looks a bit like a sub-Saharan shovel. I assume you've done some surveying and know how far down you have to go. Cover yourself with newspaper, put on some goggles, a respirator, and get to work. Keep a little vacuum handy and use it often, like at the dentist, lest the dust turn your cat or carpet a different color. You can start with a file/rasp, then work through the grades: 200, 400, 600 on a sanding block until it's smooth, and you have some reason to believe it will no longer make the "tak" sound. Those little Sanding Sponges are nice because they replace the sanding block; get a medium and a fine, plus some 600 sandpaper. You might use one old string, or a piece of wire, as a level and reference by running it from the bridge to the nut, like a regular string. Even though you won't be playing Rast this high up for some time, don't sand the soundboard and try to make your modification level so people don't ask you what on earth happened to your oud. Don't sand too deep or the beveled edge could cause injury. Polish with 0000 steel wool or beat it with a brick, whichever it takes to match the texture of the fretboard portion that does not go "tak". Reinstall strings and try it out. G'luck!

Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-9-2010 at 03:12 AM

Do you have any pictures so maybe we could see what your describing? Thanks
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 9-13-2010 at 10:16 AM

NEVER try to heat and bend or apply pressure or blows to the face to align the strings.
Sand the fingerboard with a flat sanding block longer than the fingerboard, do not use sponges. Sponges will make your fingerboard cupped, only adding to your problem.
Do not beat the fingerboard with a brick.
The problem could be the neck angle, this usually requires a professional luthier to adjust it.

Go To Top