Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Should I buy this oud?
deathletter
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 02:49 AM
Should I buy this oud?

Hello, I am an intermediate level guitarist interested in playing oud as well. I have done some browsing on this forum in order to find out how and where to buy a good oud. So, couple questions:

1) I am currently in Beirut, Lebanon. I found a Sukar Oud here for $200. On ebay, these go for $500+. I also noticed that Sukar has a good reputation here. Is this a solid deal? I didn't hear it played yet; it was not tuned and it had gathered a lot of dust. The model number is 1, 6, or 201 by the looks http://www.oudsukar.com/New/en/products_en.php?cat=oud. Is it bad for an oud to sit for a long time out-of-tune? It is for guitars, but there's no truss rod here...

2) Now, to clarify #1. I live in the US, and do not know if I could find such a good deal here. I have contacts all over, so if there is a good music store somewhere, where I could find a good deal like the Sukar in Beirut.

I would prefer to have more time to browse, but I never looked for an oud in the US, so I don't know how hard they are to find. If this Sukar is a great deal, perhaps I should get it... $200 is the top of my price range.

Thanks! Great forum.
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 05:58 AM

$200, sounds like a real bargain for a sukar oud.

I'm assuming your in a position to look & try before buying it. In that case the only inconvenience would be carrying it on the aircraft with you. However you could weight that against shipping an oud to the US and the potential for problems (mix-up of order, damage, etc)

I don't know how easy it is to get an oud in the US, but If i was in your position I would probably buy it.
Danielo
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 07:57 AM

Hi,

used Sukars usually go for 200 euros in France.. So in Lebanon it is probably possible to find Sukars cheaper than this (but if it is in good shape it's not really bad deal)

It's a good idea to tune it. Even if the strings are old and bad you can check if the action is ok.

Check also that nothing has unglued (it may happen if the oud was stored in a wet place)

Dan
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 10:36 AM

Go for it !

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

Go To Top