Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jamil Bashirs Oud?
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2011 at 07:13 AM
Jamil Bashirs Oud?

Hey guys,

Lately ive been listening alot to Jamil Bashir and in that i got thinking about various things; his technique, melodic style, and his sound concept. I love how his sound and style contrasts with his Munir. Considering that they had the same teacher, they played in very different ways to each other in my opinion.

More to the point, i was wondering if anybody knew what kind of oud Jamil played (maker, size, string length etc). On the "rare recordings page" on this website the text states his contemporaries like Salman Shukur and Jamil Ghanim played ouds made by Ustad Ali. Was the same true for Jamil? If so does anybody have information about this maker?

Its also interesting because, either directly or indirectly , these musicians were taught by Sherif Muheddin Haydar, which made me think whether the ouds they used were built with a turkish construction principles in mind rather than that of a 'typical' arabic oud (e.g. nahat).

Anyway heres one of my favourite recordings of Jamil on youtube for your pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL-DPYRN5iE

This thread is more for general interest and discussion (i.e. Im not looking to hunt down the oud he played on or anything like that). Also thanks to Mike for the rare recordings page.

Mehran
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2011 at 07:18 AM

Here are some pictures (1) from David Parfitts website, (2) from a blog i found.

jbashir_photo2.jpg - 35kB jamil_photo_1.jpg - 52kB
hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 02:56 PM

Thats an interesting question, i was also wondering about that myself. It seems that there is not very much information on Jamil Bashir. the oud he is holding in the first picture looks like a nahat to me from the rosette.

Go To Top