Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Arabic and turkish >>oud<< players?
Oudnoob
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 02:18 PM
Arabic and turkish >>oud<< players?

Hi.

I am thinking of buying a syrian model. For instance Ibrahim Sukars models.

If i have got it right, the syrian ouds differs the least from the turkish ouds. Am I right?

If there is other models more likely the turkish models, like egyptian ouds, or something, please tell me. :)

Then I have a question. If I learn playing the (syrian) oud pretty good. Will i be able to play the turkish ouds withoout any major problem??
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 4-28-2011 at 03:40 AM

Hi oudnoob-
It's good that you ask and want to do bit of research on the differences and also similiarities between ouds made in different countries. There are differences, you may find some answers in the FAQs section, scroll down and look for something that might help:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6809

Turkish ouds tend to have shorter scale lengths than Syrian or Egyptian. More often the tuning is different, Turkish ouds tend to be tuned a tone higher than 'Arabic', if the first top string (high) of an Arabic oud is C, the Turkish would normally be D. However there are variations with ouds like everything else in life.
If you can play a Syrian or Egyptian oud well, most likely you could transfer those skills to a Turkish oud.
Try searching in the forum for things like scale length, Turkish ouds, Arabic ouds, etc and get as much info as you need. :)
Oudnoob
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-29-2011 at 01:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MatthewW  
Hi oudnoob-
It's good that you ask and want to do bit of research on the differences and also similiarities between ouds made in different countries. There are differences, you may find some answers in the FAQs section, scroll down and look for something that might help:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6809

Turkish ouds tend to have shorter scale lengths than Syrian or Egyptian. More often the tuning is different, Turkish ouds tend to be tuned a tone higher than 'Arabic', if the first top string (high) of an Arabic oud is C, the Turkish would normally be D. However there are variations with ouds like everything else in life.
If you can play a Syrian or Egyptian oud well, most likely you could transfer those skills to a Turkish oud.
Try searching in the forum for things like scale length, Turkish ouds, Arabic ouds, etc and get as much info as you need. :)

Thank alot for you answer.

When i play the instrument i do not have problems if the notes are different. If the interval between the string is the same, i do not think there is a bigger problem, or what do you think?

For example I have played baglama for 5 years. It has a very long neck. The interval between the strings is a fifth. The violin also has fifths. But a bery shorter neck. I managed playing som simple song on the violin first time i got it in my hand.

I wonder if it is similar like arabic oud vs turkish oud.

I would appreciate a answer. :)

Go To Top