Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Iraq Jewish music
richards1052
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Erlich
Unfortunately, you will have to sift through a lot of new synthesized "Bus Station" music, but at least you can hear samples of everything.

Ah, yes...there is so much dreck in Israeli pop music. You do have to be careful. But the traditional music is the real thing & sometimes as good as it gets.

My mp3 blog doesn't specialize in oud music but I do have some interesting traditional & world music there. You can also narrow yr search to Jewish music if you like.

Richard Silverstein
Tikun Olam
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 12:07 PM

Hi Richard,

Some of the best Arabic music I've ever heard was sung by an Iraqi-Jewish-Israeli named Suzan Shahrahbani, known as "Iman." Her recordings, as far as I know, are only on cassette, and are self-published. I got my first recording of hers directly from her, just to support an Israeli singing traditional Arabic music. It was bizarre: After a concert in Tel Aviv where she appeared as a guest artist, she came out, opened a backpack, and dumped cassettes onto a table in the lobby. I bought one just to support her, but it was INCREDIBLE, so I bugged a musician friend there to buy and mail me the rest of her recordings. I think Iman's recordings are available only from her, but one can always try the little shop of Heze (Yehezkel) in the shuk (outdoor market) in the Shekhunat HaTikva section of Tel Aviv--he specializes in Arabic music recordings by Israelis from Arab countries.

Happy hunting!

Shalom/Salaam,
Udi John
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top