Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How to clean the soundboard?
rabab-lover
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 07:28 PM

Well, ooops. The two images in my previous post are of Ilyas Cakan, an oud builder in Izmir, and they were meant for another post. While I am here, I should observe, the original question about how to clean an oud soundboard wandered in several directions ... two separate and very different topics were mixed in: #1 where to find recordings by Matar Muhammad (have you heard the UNESCO anthology LP by the way?), and #2 what kinds of original finishes can be applied before the instrument is handled and perhaps soiled. Best wishes to all. - Daniel
hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-22-2014 at 05:17 AM

If the discoloration is bothering you, rub your sweat on the rest of the face to get it uniform.

JUST KIDDING...:D

I have seen Simon Shaheen with a cloth napkin where his arm rests on the face presumably to protect the wood. Wear long sleeves and wash your hands before playing. It may be late at this point but like others have said just ignore it and focus on the sound. It is part of the character of the instrument.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 3-22-2014 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by katakofka  
Thanks Doc for your input.
Doc, what about the soundboard of old Nahaat Oud? Do they had finished soundboard?

I have never seen a finish on any old oud, (30 years or older). It seems to be a characteristic of modern oud makers. I don't know how to test the wood for any other treatment, but definitely there was not any finish on any Nahhat oud I've ever seen. I'm guessing a test using material analysis methods might reveal some information. Anyone got access to an Electron Microprobe (EMP); Energy Dispersive X-ray (EDX); Wavelength Dispersive X-ray (WDX); or a X-ray Fluorescence (XRF)?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top