Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: quill picks
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 09:57 PM

Hi

I already received my quill (thanks Lee) Already soaking it in an Olive oil for a week now..

Hope to hear more advice-Thanks all!
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 10:49 PM
Great pictures!

I'm just wondering how you can tell he's using a pea<b>rooster</b> feather risha.

My pea<b>rooster</b> feathers are from the wing (right wing, I believe) - its a dull-orange-brown color! The tail feathers are the ones that are bright blue-green.

In the close-up photo it looks like he's got the end of the feather tied in a loop!

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
Sidi
Oud Maniac

Mood: Very Sad...

[*] posted on 4-3-2004 at 05:24 PM
More on Farid's pea<b>rooster</b> rishas:

Mav and Lee, I'm glad you like the pictures. I'm also happy someone is looking up pea<b>rooster</b> rishas once more.

So how do I know Farid was using a pea<b>rooster</b> risha? Simple, he often used it when my parents went to see him in Egypt. There is also a color picture of him using one, with his famous inlaid oud. I don't have it, but those of you who dig deep enough may be able to find it for us. Properly prepared pea<b>rooster</b> feathers were highly regarded by many oud masters. In addition to pea<b>rooster</b> feathers, Farid also used eagle wing feathers. You can see him play with one in "Lahn El Khouloud".

What type of pea<b>rooster</b> feathers was he using? They come from the coloured tail, and they call them "Sword" feathers. They usually border the "Eye" tail feathers, and extend up to 24 inches in length. I've attached a picture of some below, although Farid's feathers came from better/healthier birds.

** BTW I've updated my previous post with additional pics and info...
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-3-2004 at 05:39 PM

Hey Sidi,

Great pictures man. This information is really very interesting, and I too love the picture of Farido's oud! Way to go my man.

Seeya,
Mike
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-4-2004 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sidi
What type of pea<b>rooster</b> feathers was he using? They come from the coloured tail, and they call them "Sword" feathers. They usually border the "Eye" tail feathers, and extend up to 24 inches in length. I've attached a picture of some below, although Farid's feathers came from better/healthier birds.
pics and info...

>What type of pea<b>rooster</b> feathers was he using? They come from the coloured tail, and they call them "Sword" >feathers. They usually border the "Eye" tail feathers, and extend up to 24 inches in length. I've attached a >picture of some below, although Farid's feathers came from better/healthier birds.

Emad, this is interesting because the sword feathers are structural different the wing pens - more soft and flexible. I believe the wing pens are not suitable because of the stiffness and the ¨round¨ shape and the risha needs to be flat. I believe it's still necessary to store the risha in oil because the peafowl tail feathers are soft and fragile. Peafowl feathers are easy to find at several online stores. Feathers from white birds are little bit more expensive.

Best wishes

Ronny
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 05:24 AM
Ostrich

There's an interesting article in a journal this month that mentions the use of ostrich feather plectra in medieval lute playing. Given the similarity between the medieval lute and oud, I wonder whether there is any evidence for using ostrich feathers in oud playing as well.
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-15-2004 at 01:56 PM
Risha pics

Hey guys, you can see some of my survivor rishas if you want:

http://www.angelfire.com/oz/nadir/oud.html

They aren't shaped for playing though, I've had too many taken from me (by the shipping company :mad: !!!!)

Technically, these are still feathers, but I know that they are rishas... ;)
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top